Nov 22, 2013
Being the best man or maid of honor is a huge honor, and an important part of any wedding. If you’ve been lucky enough to be granted one of these titles, the next step is planning what to say in your speech. Many people are frightened of public speaking, and some just can’t write a powerful speech. It’s important that you suck it up, straighten up that men’s tuxedo or bridesmaid dress, and deliver the best speech possible.
Here are a few tips on how to write the perfect best man or maid of honor speech:
- Remember you were chosen to be the best man or maid of honor, so it’s important to be yourself when presenting your speech.
- Keep it short! A general rule of thumb, keep your speech under 5 minutes. Say what you need to say, make it personal, but don’t lose sight of your underlying message and go off on a tangent.
- Write your speech well in advance, and practice it often. You should be able to recite your speech at the ceremony without reading from a paper.
- When the time comes, the first thing you should do is introduce yourself and your relationship to the bride and groom. Some guests at the wedding may not know who you are, and introducing yourself will help them better connect with you during the speech.
- Keep it classic and traditional by thanking the parents and guests.
- Share a joke.
- Tell a story about the bride or groom. Make it sweet, funny, heartfelt, sentimental and meaningful. This should be the bulk of your speech.
- Expand on the bride or groom’s virtues. Tell the audience how loyal and special they are to you, and how this will secure their marriage.
- Propose a toast!
- End the speech with a favorite quote.
Being the best man or maid of honor is a truly special designation, and something the bride and groom will remember forever.