Mar 8, 2013
Beauty pageants involve much more than donning a beauty pageant dress and practicing your stage walk. In order to be a well-rounded pageant contestant you need to be poised, active in the community, and be able to speak well in front of a large crowd. If you cringed when you read that last part you’re not alone. Many pageant contestants are nervous about public speaking. Thankfully, there are some things you can do to help ease the stress of public speaking and become better at it.
- Practice makes perfect. Just like you practice your talent routine and walking in your pageant dress, you need to practice speaking in front of a crowd. Start by reading a book aloud to a pet or some stuffed animals, and then move on to reciting a poem or lines from your favorite movie in front on family or friends.
- Maintain good posture. Find a natural standing position that feels comfortable and maintain the position, as well as good posture.
- Speak clearly and loudly.
- Pay attention to your body language. Fiddling with your hands, shuffling your feet, and different facial expressions can all reveal how confident you are speaking in front of an audience.
- Maintain eye contact with the audience and the judges.
Most importantly, relax. It’s much easier to concentrate on what you’re saying and doing when you’re relaxed. Beauty pageants may be a competition, but they’re also about having fun. So smile, do your best, enjoy yourself and good luck from all of your friends at PageantDesigns.com!